Loux – Marlafekas has a course of 70 years of history and tradition and its dominant characteristic throughout this course is the absolute respect to the consumer, mainly expressed through the strict selection criteria of the best and most qualitative Greek raw materials, in order to always generate unique tastes, which are always adapted to the needs of each time.
It all began in 1950, when Panagiotis Marlafekas, founder of the business, established a small industry in a relatively restricted area of Pantokratoros st, in the Historical Centre of Patras city.
In the capital of Achaia, at that time, 11 business of similar size used to operate. The only way for someone to differentiate was to choose the best materials and, along with his own enthusiasm, to produce unique recipes with the hope that they will be chosen by the consumers of Patras. The combination of the above two factors was implemented in practice and thus, Loux orangeades, lemonades and carbonated drinks (Gazoza), became the favourite soft drinks of Patras’ people.
As time passed, the course of Loux was met by a steady increase. However, the small unit of Pantokratoros st could not cover the needs that had been generated by the market anymore. This incident, together with the arrival of multinationals in Greece around 1967, created the need for relocation of the business. The objective for the new unit was a greater production capacity and the implementation of advanced technologies as a response to the growing competition. Panagiotis Marlafekas, enjoying the full support of his wife Ioanna, took the most critical decision in the history of the Company until today. He chooses to relocate at the famous region of Kefalovriso, which at that time had not even the minimum infrastructure for whatever industrial activity; there was lack of electricity, as well as lack of a telephone line. However, its subsoil contained a real treasure, its excellent water.
The criterion was still quality at any cost and the subsequent course of the company proved that had been a right choice.
Next, the principal stages for Loux were the following:
- 1972: After hard work, a new factory was created covering an area of 2,500 square metres where it is still situated today. This factory was equipped with contemporary machinery of that time, in order to ensure the best possible quality for the loux soft drinks, which had now acquired a new identity too (with Kefalovriso water). The business starts to expand also to neighbouring prefectures of Achaia, enjoying great success, having always as a reference point the highest quality together with its unique taste.
- 1989: The founder, Panagiotis Marlafekas retires and turns over the company to his three sons: John, Konstantinos and Platon.
- 1997: The Company changes Legal Corporation and becomes a S.A.
- 1997-1998: Under this new formation, the company starts a plan of developmental investments of more than 3 million euro in order to reinforce its position in the market.
- 1999-2002: The investments which were completed in the beginning of 2001 and resulted to a turnover of 5.6 million euro for 2002, included new production lines for PET (polyethylene terephthalate) and glass packaging, as well as new contemporary facilities for the roofed Distribution Centre of 3,000 square meters on privately owned land of 10,000 square meters.
- 2003: New and of hi-tech packaging for PET (Polyethylene terephthalate) plastic bottles replace the old ones, ensuring longer shelf life and excellent product preservation. The bottles were re-designed, capturing the embossed surface of the orange skin.
- 2004: Loux is the first company to successfully present to the Greek consumer a traditional beverage in a bottle, the Sour Cherry Drink. It became the second most successful drink of Loux products, after Orangeade, from the very first month of its presentation.
- 2005: Loux proudly announces its collaboration with the Hellenic Football Federation, as the Official Beverage of the Football National Team. As official sponsor, Loux supports the efforts of the European Champion Men’s National Team and the Under 21 Football National Team for new successes and honours on worldwide scale. The European Champion has become the “Official Beloved” in the heart of Greeks and that is the goal for Loux Soft Drinks, to become the “Beloved drinks” of all Greeks.
- 2006: Loux soft drinks were selected by the Hellenic Export Promotion Organisation in order to be served through the “Kerasma” initiative in Road shows and Greek restaurants all around the world for the promotion of Gourmet Greece.
- 2007: Loux soft drinks are among the first Hellenic products and the first Hellenic Soft Drink to be granted an authorization for bearing the sign “Wonderful Greece” on its packaging.
Moreover, the company buys an industrial building covering a range of 3,700 square meters on an area of 15,000 square meters in the region Palea Kouloura in Egio, with the intention of creating production lines for new products.
- 2008: Loux is characterised as one of the Hellenic Industry’s “Diamonds” in the relevant Stat Bank table of the top 100 fastest-growing and healthiest companies.
During the summer of the same year, Loux releases 100% Natural Juices without sugar or preservatives, in four flavors. In addition, in November 2008 a brand-new logistics centre is created in Athens with the intention of covering the continuously increasing needs for reduction in terms of cost and products delivery time.
- 2009: The business activity of the Marlafekas brothers is rewarded with the first Entrepreneurship Award “Development & Innovation Kouros 2009” by the Entrepreneurship Club.
- 2010: Loux wins the Effie Awards Prize for its advertising campaign in the category “David vs Goliath”.
During the same year Loux is included in the “Strongest Companies in Greece” by ICAP group, as one of the most potent companies in Greece.
- 2011: Loux wins again the “Diamonds Award 2011” from Stat Bank as one of the strongest financially companies in Greece, while proceeding to the renewal of its corporate image. The company revamps its logo and redesigns the product packaging, while maintaining its connection to tradition and values. At the same time, a new investment project of €7 million is approved to create a new production unit for innovative products in Egio.
- 2012: Loux is awarded for its 60 years of progress into the Greek market of Food and Drinks during the symposium “100 Years of History of Greek Food and Drinks Market” which was sponsored by SEVT, at Zappeion.
- 2013: Loux Marlafekas S.A. receives again one of the “Greek Economy Diamonds” awards during the event organized by Stat Bank, as one of the most dynamic companies in Greece.
Additionally, in July of the same year begins the cooperation with the Association of Greek Tourism Enterprises (SETE) at the initiative of the “Gastronomy in marketing of Greek tourism”.
During November of the same year, Loux was given the “Golden Fame Award” for the Soft Drinks Category, by the Institution of Famous Brands. A few days later, it was awarded in the category “Business Excellence” of “Made in Greece” Awards. These awards were instituted for the first time by the Greek Marketing Academy.
At the end of year Loux decides to support the Charity Organization “Apostoli” offering 50,000 meals.
- 2014: Loux sponsors the Hellenic Presidency of the Council of E.U. and Loux soft drinks become the Official Soft Drink of the Presidency.
Once again, Loux receives one of the “Greek Economy Diamonds” awards during the event organized by Stat Bank, in May.
In September, the company is honoured by the Industrial & Commercial Chamber of Athens during the “Innovation and Creative Entrepreneurship” awards by the Minister of Tourism Mrs. Olga Kefalogianni.
Furthermore, the company is certified by the European Inspection and Certification Company EUROCERT with the mark “ELLA-DIKA MAS“. This can be obtained by Greek owned businesses whose products are sold to super markets, demonstrate their willingness to maintain their company in Greece and aim at optimizing their operational procedures and at improving their corporate social responsibility.
- 2015: Loux is awarded once again as a “Business Gem” at the awards ceremony “Diamonds of the Greek Economy 2015” which was organized by Active Business. In addition, Loux is honoured for the second time in a row with the award of “Golden Reputation”, from the Famous Brands 2014, which confirms the preference of Greek consumers.
Finally, Loux wins an award in the categories “Famous Greek Product for Food and Beverages” and “Business Excellence” at the Made in Greece Awards, which are held every couple of years by the Greek Marketing Academy.
- 2016: Loux is announced as “Public National Champion” in the European Business Awards among 36 popular Greek companies.
In March, Loux is awarded for its extroverted activity in the Active Greece Awards 2016 organized by Active Business. Furthermore, in May, Loux is honoured by the Italian TUTTOFOOD, as one of the most important historical brands in the food and beverage sector, at the special event which was organized to reward historic businesses in Monza, Italy.
Later the same year, Loux is distinguished for the sixth time as a “Business Gem” at the awards ceremony Diamonds of the Greek Economy 2016 by Active Business.
In September, Loux is announced, for the second time, as a National Champion in the European Business Awards 2016/2017 among 38 Greek companies.
- 2017: In February, loux plus ‘n light soft drinks are selected among the finalists in the category for Best Soft Beverage in the Gulfood Innovation Awards 2017, the prestigious competition which was organized as part of the 22nd International Food and Beverage Gulfood 2017 held at the Dubai World Trade Centre (DWTC), Dubai.
In March, loux soft drinks become the first Greek refreshments to be selected as the top Superbrand in the category of non-alcoholic beverages, in the history of the competition of “Superbrands“.
In addition, later the same month Loux receives an award in the “Creative Greece 2017 – Greece the extroversion Awards” organized by Active Business Publishing to reward extrovert companies.
- 2018: Loux was distinguished for yet another year in the “Diamonds 2018” awards, shortlisted among the healthiest growing companies in Greece. Specifically, Loux was awarded a certificate for being shortlisted in the “The most admired enterprises in Greece” category, in an event dedicated to innovation and successful entrepreneurship, elements which have been distinctive of Loux’s profile through the years.
Later the same year Loux was recognized one more time for its business excellence in the Outsourcing Awards “Creative Greece 2018.
- 2019: Loux was awarded as a top corporate brand in Greece at the Superbrands Corporate Greece 2018-2019 competition
In addition, later the same year the company received a certificate at the Diamonds of the Greek Economy 2019 for its business excellence. The innovative series of loux plus ‘n light and loux plus ‘n light tea won the Silver Award in Healthy Diet Awards 2020 at the section of Light Product of the Year and specifically at the category of “Light Beverage Products”.
The company was honored with the “Regional Excellence” Award in the “Greek Value 2019” of Greek Industries’ Association for its contribution to the growth and cohesion of West Greece.
- 2020: Loux was distinguished as “Firm and Tradition” at the EVEA ceremony for its contribution to the Greek economy.
Recently the firm was distinguished as SUPPLIERS ‘BRAND CAMPAIGN at the Retail Business Awards Ceremony while it was also awarded for its business Excellence at the “Diamonds of the Greek Economy 2020”.
Loux stood out in the 20th annual Marketing & Sales Conference receiving a Gold Medal for its 70 years of tradition and history.
Loux is the largest, 100% Greek owned, soft drinks and juices company in Greece holding firmly the 2nd place in market share in the total of soft drinks and leading position in the total of soft drinks with flavour among well-known multinational companies in the sector.
The company has three privately owned state-of-art units in Peloponnese that extend across an area of 33.000 m2 for the production and distribution of its products (Kevalovrysso, Saravali of Patras) and the vertical integration of production of P.E.T packaging (Aigio). Since 2008 Loux has concluded special partnerships with logistics center in the wide area of Attica and since 2016 in Thessaloniki, aiming at covering the constantly increasing needs for reduction of transportation costs and delivery time of the products.
Loux currently employs 130 –direct and indirect- staff, from Achaia, Athens and Thessaloniki. The company invests steadily in installations and equipment, so that the soft drinks and juices of Loux are produced and distributed with the most sophisticated machines, with fully automated procedures and with the most advanced international methods of quality control, hygiene and packaging. Since 1999, the company has developed systems of quality management based on ISO 9001, which has already been upgraded to ISO 9001:2015 and FSSC: 22000 from 2017. For export purposes, Loux has also certified by Kosher. The international certifications on Food Safety and Hygiene by esteemed international organizations guarantee that Loux offers soft drinks of high quality and safety.
In Greece, Loux has 75.000 points of sale and an extensive network of 500 and more representatives that are equipped with all the necessary means of promotion, such as fridges and marketing materials.
Κeeping up with the growing demands of the market, the firm has implemented the last decade an upgrade investment plan, valued at more than €20 million, including the investments of € 6 million in a new production line, followed by a 2 million euro worth investment in technological equipment for 2018-2019. Moreover, Loux plans to invest in a new production line that responds to the steady and growing demand of its products as well as to launch new beverage flavors, which are already at the final stages of processing by the company’s R&D department. It also aims to produce new packaging respecting the general trends and market requirements. With high sense of adjustability, the firm will implement its plans when the wider situation for the Greek economy will be normalized.
Today, Loux has presence in 27 countries, in USA, Canada, Panama, Australia, South Korea, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Sweden, Belgium, Romania, Hungary, Czech Republic, Austria, Cyprus, France, Portugal, United Kingdom, Dubai, Russia, South Africa, Albania, Serbia, New Zealand, Singapore and Spain. As a next step, the company turns its attention to the consolidation of its activity in Northern Europe, focusing on the Nordic countries.
The firm produces a wide variety of soft drinks from 250ml glass, 330 ml PET, 500 ml PET, 1,500 ml PET and in various flavours such as Orangeade, Lemonade, Sour Cherry, Loux Mix (a mixture of three citrus fruits Orange – Lemon – Mandarin), Soda, Traditional Gazoza (carbonated drink), Loux Cola and Tonic, covering all needs of the market. The company owns seven trademarks: loux, loux mix, loux cola, loux extra 9, loux plus ‘n light, loux cola plis ‘n light and loux tea plus ‘n light.
In 2016, Loux entered the market of low-calorie soft drinks, with the new innovative series Loux plus ‘n light with 0% sugar, 100% natural sweeteners higher content of vitamin C in the flavors of orange juice and lemonade and 60% less calories. Loux plus ‘n light are the first and only light soft drinks in the Greek market that contain 100% natural sweeteners (fruit sugars, fructose and sweeteners of natural origin) without any change of the known and incomparable flavor that defines all the products of Loux, upsetting substantially the market of light products.
In 2008, Loux enriched the range of its products with juices with exclusively Greek raw material that are available in four flavors: 100% natural Orange juice, fruit juice Peach, juice nektar Apple-Orange-Carrot, a juice rich in vitamins B, C and E and 100% natural juice Extra-9, a unique combination of 9 fruits and 7 vitamins. The juices are available in packaging of 1L and 250ml and they are the ideal choice for young and adult people.
Finally, Loux proves in practice its interest for the social, sport and cultural events of the country by supporting through sponsorships events and activities intended to promote the sporting spirit and culture in general. The company is a founding member of ELLA-DIKA MAS, a community of manufacturing and processing Greek-owned enterprises.
Find us on social media: